Research interests include the role of transporters in drug efficacy and safety, pharmacokinetic modelling and systems pharmacology of therapeutic and off-target bioenergetic drug effects. Current projects study the role of membrane transporters in drug disposition and toxicity with special emphasis on the kidney, liver and multidrug resistance in infectious diseases. In addition, focus is on placental transport and safety of drugs and biopharmaceuticals during pregnancy. By using a systems pharmacology approach novel strategies are developed for balanced pathway modulation in mitochondrial disease and identification of the mechanisms underlying drug-induced mitochondrial toxicity. An important goal is to translate molecular-based knowledge of drug exposure and action to the clinical setting, to assist in the development of more effective and safer personalized drug therapies.
Frans Russel received his master’s degree of Pharmaceutical Sciences and PharmD from the University of Groningen (1983), obtained a PhD in Pharmacology from Radboud University (1988) and is registered European research toxicologist (ERT). He is full professor (2000-) and chair (2012-) of the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology at Radboud University Medical Center and the Faculty of Science, and has served as the director of the bachelor’s and international master’s programme in Biomedical Sciences since 2001. He is elected fellow of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists, and appointed member of the Health Council of the Netherlands and the Dutch Medicines Evaluation Board.
National & International Personal Prizes & Awards
- 2010: Internationalization Prize Radboud University
- 2008: Prof. Dr. H.J. Lammers prize for outstanding achievements in scientific education
- 2005: Elected Fellow of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists
- Member, Scientific Advisory Board Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (2014-present)
- Member, Dutch Expert Committee on Occupational Safety (2013-present)
- Member, Dutch Medicines Evaluation Board (2013-present)
- Member, Health Council of the Netherlands (2012-present)
- Chairman, Supervisory Board Postdoctoral Education in Toxicology (2011-present)
<< go back